Thursday, June 14, 2012

Transition to the Yuppie Lifestyle

Well, the inevitable happened.

Somehow or other, I actually graduated from college with an undergraduate degree.  Oh yeah, it's hanging up on my parents' wall in a brand-new diploma frame.  Not only that, but I also got a graduate school acceptance letter and I have decided to go after my master's degree.  I kind of slaved through my last year in order to get into graduate school and now that I'm in, I really don't give a damn about what happened in the last four years.  Most of it was inconsequential and, especially in those last few weeks, I was ready to get the hell out of there.  Don't get me wrong: I had a blast during my undergrad but, after awhile, it got tedious. 

Normally, I'd use this summer to escape reality and enjoy life for a bit before I actually head back into the schooling grind.  However, I was also accepted to intern in the DC area for the summer season so instead of sipping a Mai Tai by a pool, I now sit inside an office sipping coffee.  Actually, it's more like I chug coffee.  Seriously, I now drink a ridiculous amount of coffee and it's gotten unreasonable.

I'm not sure how I feel about being rapidly transplanted to this yuppie lifestyle.  For those who don't know, the term "yuppie" is short for "young urban professional" and was coined in the early 1980's.  Basically, anyone in a generic office job sitting in front of computer, scheduling meetings, and discussing something ambiguous called, "Accounts Receivable."  I have halfway joined their ranks, seeing as I'm just an intern and not special enough to be considered "full-time."

I have been equipped with a new computer that's supposed to be just for work but here's what's so funny about me and this internship: I'm so used to scrambling to get tasks done that I finish them quickly and, more often than not, flawlessly (I try not to brag but oh well).  My supervisor has to keep coming up with new things for me to do, or else I end up staying on Twitter and casually reaching for yet another swig of coffee.  That, or applying for more jobs, which is a completely different headache but perhaps part of the whole college alumni role. 

I have also been equipped with a new wardrobe.  Normally, I'm supposed to loathe the yuppie uniform of slacks, sweaters, and suits.  I have to confess that I adore it.  I love waking up in the morning and slipping on the perfect pair of panty hose (no runs, perfect color for my skin) and then donning on either a skirt or a pair of slacks and a flattering yet sophisticated top.  I am loving the fact that I get to wear high heels all the time.  Honestly, I just love feeling more put together and sexy in the morning than in the past, where my strategy of dressing would be to simply shower, throw on jeans and a tee shirt, and roll out. 

Commuting is a phenomenon that is new to me and I discovered, very quickly, that I am really going to have to find a job close to a subway station or a bus stop because I really hate driving.  I'll take a suspicious groping in a Metro if I don't have to sit in traffic ever again.  Yes, I'm very serious about this.

So yeah, that's kind of my life right now.  Nothing really terribly interesting...yet.

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment